Library customers are responsible and accountable for costs, fees, and fines for materials that are lost or damaged. Fees will be assessed to the library customer to whom the lost or damaged materials were loaned.
Damages and Fees:
- For damage of material requiring withdrawal: price of item as found in the library database, on the item, or the list price in a standard bibliographic source.
- If you are checking out material and you notice that it is damaged, please bring it to the attention of a staff person. Staff will note the damage so that you will not be charged for it.
- For lost materials requiring withdrawal: price of item as found in the library database, on the item, or the list price in a standard bibliographic source.
Returning Fines & Fees
To avoid late charges, please renew or return materials promptly to any community library. Fines stop accumulating once the materials are returned Most of our libraries have outside book drops for your convenience.
- Returning – Library materials may be returned at any time to any Yakima Valley Libraries’ location. To avoid fines, return all material on time. When the library is closed, you may return your items in the outside book drops. Outdoor book drops are located at: Yakima Central Library, Richard E. Ostrander – West Valley Community Library, Granger Community Library, Sunnyside Community Library, Buena Community Library, Harrah Community Library, Mabton Community Library, Naches Community Library, Selah Community Library, Southeast Yakima Community Library, Terrace Heights Community Library, Tieton Community Library, Toppenish Community Library, Wapato Community Library, and the Zillah Community Library.
- Fines and Fees :
- Lost library cards may be replaced for a fee of $1.00.
- Fines will be charged at a rate of $.10 per day per item, up to a maximum of $2.50 per item.
- Notices will be sent on a regular basis by mail, email, or text.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if any item is overdue 14 days or more, or if total account charges exceed $10.00.
- The replacement cost of items not returned after 28 days overdue will be charged to the patron’s account. If the item is returned in good condition, the replacement cost of the item will be waived.
- Accounts owing $25.00 or more may be referred to a collection agency and a collection fee of $15.00 will be charged to your library account.
- Accounts in collections must be paid in full before borrowing privileges can resume.
- For more information, please see the Circulation Policy, available on our website (www.yvl.org) or at any YVL community library.