Yakima Valley Libraries’ Summer Reading Program:
Yakima, WA – The Yakima Valley Libraries’ Summer Reading Program is back and this year’s theme is “Libraries Rock!,” so, we’re inviting our youngest patrons to rock out and read at their local community library!
The Summer Reading Program aims to keep children and teens reading during their summer vacation and encourages them to take a reading challenge, where they’ll earn rewards for reaching reading goals.
The program is targeted at kids from Pre-K to 8th grade (though older teens can also participate). Each participant who completes the program will receive a free book, funded by the Yakima Valley Libraries Foundation, and an entry into a raffle for additional reading rewards.
Beginning this week, YVL is also offering a summer event calendar packed with free shows, performers and activities for the whole family. Friday at the West Valley Community Library for a fun-filled performance by Eric Haines, a family-friendly comedian, juggler, stilt-walker and one-man-band. Haines will perform at 11am and 4pm.
YVL has also partnered with the Yakima Symphony Orchestra to offer “Symphony Saturday” at Yakima Central Library, which features a free musical performance and time for a hands-on introduction to orchestral instruments.
Saturday’s session starts at 2pm, and will feature a special violin performance by Lawrence Golan, Music Director of the Yakima Symphony Orchestra, who will perform along with his seven-year old daughter.
In addition to these events, patrons can look forward to weekly crafts and activities at their local community library, plus even more children’s performers and S.T.E.M. projects all summer long.
For more information about the Summer Reading Program and related events, visit www.yvl.org/summer, contact your local community library, or call (509) 575-3431.
To sign children up for the program, visit your local community library.
PERFORMERS & EVENTS
ERIC HAINES: COMEDIAN, JUGGLER & ONE-MAN BAND
- West Valley Community Library, Fri., June 22nd @ 11am & 4pm
- Southeast Community Library, Fri., July 13th @ 11am
- Moxee Community Library, Fri., July 13th @ 4pm
- Yakima Central Library, Sat., June 23rd @ 2pm
Violin performance by Lawrence Golan, Yakima Symphony Orchestra Mu-sic Director, along with his 7yr old daughter. After the performance, the audience can try out violins.
- Yakima Central Library, Sat., July 14th @ 2pm
Performance by student musician from the Yakima Music en Acción pro-gram, followed by time for audience to try various orchestra instruments.
HANDS & HEARTS DRUMMING WORKSHOP
Drumming and rhythm activities w/djembe drums, floor drums & percussion instruments. Space is limited. Pre-registration required. Please call the Wapato Community Library or
- Wapato Community Library, Wed., June 27th @ 11:30am
- Mabton Community Library, Wed., June 27th @ 4pm
JAPANESE TAIKO DRUMMERS
Performance by Seattle’s School of TAIKO featuring high-energy Japanese drumming and audience participation!
- Yakima Central Library, Mon., July 16th @ 11am
- Sunnyside Community Library, Mon., July 16th @ 4pm
ALEX ZERBE: MAGICIAN & COMEDIAN
- Sunnyside Community Library, Fri., July 27th @ 12pm
- West Valley Community Library, Fri., July 27th @ 4pm
- West Valley Community Library, Sat., July 28th @ 11am
- Yakima Central Library, Sat., July 28th @ 3pm
BRIAN WAITE BAND
Journey to the musical land of Rockmania, where you’ll laugh, dance and rock out with the Brian Waite Band and their singing puppet friends!
- Selah Community Library, Wed., August 1st @ 12pm
Concert at Wixson Park Stage, 216 S. 3rd St, Selah, WA 98942
“BE A ROCK HOUND!” GUIDED FAMILY HIKE
A fun, kid-friendly hike through the beautiful Cowiche Canyon, hosted by the Cowiche Canyon Conservancy.
- Saturday, August 4th @ 9am
Visit www.yvl.org/summer for more info and driving directions to Cowiche Canyon.
VIKKI GASKO GREEN: VENTRILOQUIST & MAGICIAN
A fun-filled show packed with laughs, magic and audience participation.
- Terrace Heights Community Library, Wed., August 8th @12:30pm
- Buena Community Library, Wed., August 8th @ 4:30pm
- Granger Community Library, Thurs., August 9th @ 12pm
- Toppenish Community Library, Thurs., August 9th @ 4pm
MAKE MUSIC with MAKEY MAKEY KITS
Turn everyday items like clay, fruit, vegetables, small toys and coins into a computer controller that lets you play bongo drums, scratch piano and more on a computer screen! While you discover your inner musician, you’ll also have tons of fun learning what objects conduct electricity, and why.
For kids 9+ years old. Space is limited. Pre-registration required. Please call your preferred library to sign-up.
- White Swan Community Library, Wed., July 18th @ 2pm
- Harrah Community Library, Thurs., July 19th @ 2pm
- Tieton Community Library, Tues., August 7th @ 3pm
- Naches Community Library, Wed., August 8th @ 1pm