PICKING UP YOUR HOLDS
- Your library materials MUST be in “Held” status on your account BEFORE you schedule your pick up.
- Call your preferred community library to schedule pick up.
- When you arrive at the library, look for the yellow “No-Contact Holds Pick Up” signs.
- Please call to let staff know you have arrived. Library locations.
- Library staff will verify your identity, then will prepare your library materials for you.
- Library materials will be checked out on your account, and a library employee will place the bagged materials outside the library in a designated no-contact pickup location.
RETURNING LIBRARY MATERIALS
- Please return materials to the book drops.
In order to place online hold requests, you will need a physical library card and your password/PIN.
- Use the Library’s online catalog to search for and/or browse library materials
- Place a hold request on the item(s) you would like to borrow. Please be aware that wait times for requested items may be longer than usual.
- When your requested item(s) arrive at your preferred community library, you will receive an email or text message notification.
- Please wait until you receive a text or email notification that your items are ready, before going to your library for Contact-Free Holds Pick Up.
Appointments are not required, but for faster pick up service, you can schedule an appointment online or by calling your preferred community library.
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
Can I place a hold over the telephone?
Yes. Call any library location and staff will assist you with placing holds.
Can I request items that are not currently in the YVL catalog?
Yes, we have begun processing requests for items not currently in our collection using Suggest a Title. If the title requested is purchased, we will place a hold on your account.
How do I return materials?
Please return materials in the book drops.
What if I don’t have a mobile phone? How can I let you know that I have arrived for my pickup appointment?
If you do not have a mobile phone and/or are unable to call from outside the library when you arrive, please notify us ahead of time via a landline call and staff will make special arrangements for the pickup.
Do I need a Library card for Contact-Free Pickup?
Yes, you must have a Yakima Valley Libraries card in order to place holds. However, you will not need the physical card to pickup your holds. Staff will verify your account, and all holds will be checked out to you before you pick them up.
What if I have fees?
Accounts with over $10 in fees will be blocked from checkout. You may pay online or send a check or money order. For more information including the address for mailing payments, please see our Make a Payment page.
What if I miss or have to change my pickup time?
Pick up appointments are no longer required, but if you missed or need to change your pickup appointment, call your community library to reschedule. In most cases, library staff can schedule a same day appointment.
Can I use my own bag when I pick up my materials?
Library materials will be pre-bagged by staff, but if you prefer to use your own bag, or simply don’t want your items to be bagged, please inform staff when you arrive for your pick up.
Are library materials safe to use?
Yakima Valley Libraries cannot and does not make any medical/scientific safety guarantees regarding borrowing library materials.
It is up to each of our patrons to determine your comfort level with regard to using Library materials.
Can I clean or disinfect library materials when I get them home?
To avoid damage, please do not use disinfectants on library materials; nor should library materials be microwaved or otherwise heated as a means of disinfection.
What are you doing to protect the safety of patrons and staff?
Yakima Valley Libraries will continue to follow health and safety guidelines issued by the CDC (Center for Disease Control).